Saturday, October 01, 2005

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Be Warned: Spoilers for "Serenity" follow. Leave now to avoid them. Trust me on this.







Oh man, that was great.

I laughed. I cried. And I cheered. Even as a relative newb to Firefly, having seen the TV show only two weeks ago, I loved the film. Joss Whedon has proved his genius to me, and I'm really looking forward to hopefully getting more movies, since he says he wants to keep it movies now.

I was amazed that the actors and crew managed to keep the feal of the Firefly world, even after about two or three years of being away from it. It really felt like a longer episode of Firefly. I could easily picture it as a two-part season finale.

It was cool finally seeing the Reavers after only having glimpses throughout the series. I can see why everyone is so afraid of them. And well they should, after seeing their origin story.

The great writing continues, and I find myself quoting it all the time. The trailors alone showcase a lot of it. Also, everyone seemed in character and they all had their spotlight.

The space battle with the Alliance vs. the Reavers was excellent. I had a bad feeling about it, but it turned out great. I felt every hit Serenity took and it was great seeing all the well-done CGI on the ships. Looked like something out of Star Wars.

Wash. It's amazing how fast laughter can change to tears. He was in the middle of his "leaf in the wind" line, and I was laughing at it. Then he up and dies. My sleeve was near soaked by the time I stopped crying.

I couldn't believe all the near-misses that followed. I was expecting more character deaths after Wash. I thought Zoe was out when she got shot, then I thought Kaylee was leaving us when she got hit with the darts, and then Simon looked like he was about to buy the farm when he got shot. Then River jumps into the fray, leaving the remaining crew. I thought for sure that River was going to fall, and then those darn tears came back.

It was all I could do to keep myself from jumping up and cheering when it showed River wiping the floor with the Reavers.

Oh yeah, Mal vs. The Operative. Very nicely done. The story did a good job of characterizing The Operative, when he could've asily been just another random assassin. I laughed out loud when it showed Mal holding the tiny scalpel against The Operatives giant knife. Cool battle scene, that.

Interesting that the movie answered enough questions, but still leaving it open for another movie or TV series. All I know is, if there is indeed more, I'll be first in line.

"Serenity"
Rating: A-

You really can't stop the signal.

No comments: